Starter (0-1 jaar ervaring)
Young Professional (1-3 jaar ervaring)
The workability center of the Dredging Production Department in Rotterdam consists of a team of 3 Hydrodynamic Engineers. The main focus is on optimising the workability of a Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger, Cutter Suction Dredger, Backhoe Dredgers (dredging vessels) and other work vessels. You study the behavior of ships based on RAOs and translate the complex results into clear, unambiguous overviews for internal and external customers to provide insight into the workability of ships in different wave climates. The workability study is used to optimise working methods of dredgers. You work closely with the tender department, project teams and maintain contact with the ship's crew before and during implementation. In addition, there is close cooperation with the hydrodynamic team of Offshore and Offshore Wind. In this community knowledge is shared and experiences are exchanged.
What you are going to do
- Involved in optimising workability in consultation with production estimators and project teams;
- Development of safe, efficient and innovative workability-enhancing solutions for existing ships and new construction;
- Development of tools (software tools, mainly in Python) to perform the above analyses and to support estimators;
- Monitoring project implementation on location or on board dredgers.
Who we are looking for
- MSc degree in engineering (including Mechanical Engineering, Offshore, Maritime, Physics);
- Affinity with specialised software such as Ansys AQWA and OrcaFlex;
- Programming skills are required (preferably Python or C++);
- Good knowledge of the English language in a technical environment, both written and spoken;
- An enthusiastic colleague with practical, analytical, communication and commercial skills;
- Willingness to travel abroad for follow-up on board our ships.
What we offer
Working in an international, high demanding and dynamic organisation, with the possibility to truly have impact on our business, people and environment. We offer a complete package with excellent secondary employment benefits. The package includes among other things:
- A salary that matches your responsibilities and experiences;
- 32 leave days of which a max. of 7 days can be appointed as collective leave days;
- A pension scheme;
- A variable bonus;
- Extensive learning and (personal) development possibilities;
- An adequate travel allowance;
- Collective health insurance (optional);
- Flexible working hours.
Who we are
Van Oord is a leading global contractor in dredging, hydraulic engineering and offshore projects (oil, gas and wind). We are an innovative partner for our clients and have been contributing to the infrastructure of tomorrow's world for over a hundred years. Our people are committed, enterprising professionals with a passion for water and technology.